January 9, 2011

Thoughts on death

You might have heard about the shootings in Arizona. Some angry constituent tried to shoot his congresswoman, and ended up killing 6 and injuring 12 others.

One of the people he killed was a 9 year old girl. She was born on September 11, 2001.

This is her:



I like to think that I have some pretty liberal views for a lot of criminals. I believe in people's ability to change and reform, and I think that the justice system should reflect and support that.

But I can't help feeling that this guy should be taken out in someone's backyard and shot. Really.

I read an interview with a man who worked on a firing squad for like 20 years. He was a religious guy, and they asked if he ever regretted it or felt bad or whatever. He said he had felt more remorse over squirrels he's killed. He said that sometimes you get defective merchandise, and your only choice is to return it to the manufacturer.

I would disagree with him in a lot of cases. But this guy, crazy as he may be, I feel like there's not much of a punishment we can give him here that would suit him better than what he'll get afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment